Sport early days memories

The Sportsmasters perspective by Br Bill Dillon (Br Stanislaus)


I arrived at Marcellin in 1953 and stated for three years. At that time, I was 23 years old. The Brothers were up early - 5,25am and spent time at Morning Prayer, etc. with Mass at 7.00am, often at Deepdene. We walked both ways and had breakfast at approx. 8.00am and across to School at about 8.30a.m . There were no free periods and lessons closed at approx 3.40p.m.

I give this as the background as the role of Sportsmaster had to be organized in the spare time outside of school time.

One of the first things to do was to contact Ground Management Committees to seek permission to use local grounds such as Camberwell Oval, Rathmines Oval and others. The Swimming Pool also needed to be booked for use on sports afternoons. Contact was generally personal so I would ride a bicycle to the homes of the various Secretaries to make sure permission was granted.

This was done after the Evening meal. Sports Gear had to be purchased and then cared for - cricket bats oiled, balls painted red to be made to look new.  At school, I had to distribute the gear for yard use and ensure that it was fully collected when the bell tolled.

Another duty was to try to have equal ability in House Teams; so new boys were assessed with the more able placed in house teams, which were weaker. This involved a great deal of luck.

We were to enter the Catholic College Competition in 1955 so we needed to prepare for that, The Sportsmaster organized the Swimming Meeting -this involved contacting parents to be judges, timekeepers and others. lt also meant the programme had to involve all students so House Points could be won. The programme needed to be typed out and multi-photocopies made - not an easy task for me as I was not an expert on the typewriter or on the old Gestetner.

While this was being prepared, I took teams every Saturday morning for Cricket Matches against other Schools - naturally, these matches needed to be organized well in advance.

As part of our Curriculum we had a Sports afternoon once a week. ln the Swimming Season this was easy enough as all went to the Swimming pool. Teachers had to be organized to take groups to the Cricket Grounds for mainly House Competitions. As the young one in the Brothers' Community, I found the older Brothers very supportive and prepared to accept my directions.

When the Cricket Season was over, the same arrangements had to be made for the Football season, here again, matches against other Schools needed to be organized, umpires (mostly Brothers) nominated and grounds available. On Sports Afternoons, House Competition matches were arranged.

Most Saturday mornings for me, were taken up in matches against other schools. As an aside, the Brothers, as part of their commitment, had just a slice of toast and a cup of coffee for breakfast on Saturday, so often hunger pangs would be part of the deal on these days.

Naturally enough, I found teams needed to be coached so I found myself with the students on at least two afternoons per week at the nets or at Rathmines Oval. This involved rushing back to Marcellin for the Religious Exercises which, for us, commenced at 5.15p.m.

Next came the Athletics Carnival. This involved preparing a suitable program for all students so they could compete for their House. For the Sprint Race, as for the Swimming, all students were graded off to their ability and, as a result, more than 25 100 and 200 yard races would be held as well as the distance and field events which were for those with ability -preparation needed to be done before and so all students had an opportunity to show their relative abilities. The typing and printing of programs were onerous tasks,

In those days, the March past was a feature - practice was done at School. A Judge, usually from Puckapunyal Army Camp, had to be contacted. parents, again were heavily involved in the running of the Carnival with Afternoon teas provided by our Mothers Club.

The marking of the Oval and its set up was another task for the Sportsmaster. Generally, a few boys were enlisted to help out.

ln 1955, we joined the Catholic College competition. Cricket and Football Matches were played on Wednesday Afternoons. I coached both the cricket and Football First teams but had to make sure the rest of the students were organized for the House Competition.

Incidentally, our 1st XV111 won their very first Match in this Competition defeating North Melbourne CBC. Other victories were against St. Bede’s, Mentone and St. Kevin’s CBC Toorak who were then part of the Competition.

Saturday mornings were as usual as I took teams of mainly the younger age groups.

Also in 1955, the Camberwell Oval was not available for our Athletics Carnival so we were able to have the use of the Victoria Park (Collingwood) Oval - a great venue for Athletics.

In joining this competition for athletics, a uniform needed to be provided and this also was a task for the Sportsmaster.

Specialist activities such as hurdling, high jumps, shot put and others were lunch time activities on a small strip of grass at the back near the Babies Home next door. This was all part of the Coaching by the Sportsmaster.

Obviously, in recording the above, some activities may have been forgotten and not mentioned - I'm sure some of the students would call to mind forgotten memories.

ln recalling all of this, it seems to be a mammoth task for one person who had this as an extra after teaching all day and fitting in Community Obligations required.

As far as I was concerned I was young, able and willing. It did not seem a hardship as I enjoyed the time spent with those who were keen to learn and who  seemed to enjoy the times spent in practice and playing.

Would I do it all again? As an old Good Samaritan Sister said to me on another occasion: “I wouldn’t miss it for quids".

All I have of those days are happy and wonderful memories. 

Cheers and God bless.

Br.Bill Dillon (Or as you knew me, Stanislaus)

Sport at Marcellin in the 1950’s As I Remember It – Michael Derum 1951-1959

The Marcellin of 2016 is a vast contrast to the place I remember at 21 Canterbury from 1951-1959.  The introduction to my “new” school was at the 1950 Speech Afternoon conducted from the steps at the front of the Brothers house, “Ardmara”. The front steps were the stage and rostrum for the afternoon. Whatever John Bartley sang or whatever Br Nilus said, completely passed me by because I thought only of this place as my next step in the whole school business.
At the start of 1951, I started in Grade 5 and my classroom was at the end of the western side drive, formerly a garage.  That classroom formed the border of one side of the quadrangle (the lunch area) and the other sides were taken up with the Grade 3-4 class – Br Bede – Des Hornsby; the tap room including drinking fountains , a “drum” room, a laundry and a tuckshop.  There was a big tree in the south west corner outside our classroom from which was suspended the periodic / angelus / prayer of the hour bell.  The north western side completed the quadrangle and was known as the annexe.  As a nine year old I had no idea what an annexe was. At Marcellin in those days it was an L-shaped ground floor access area for all classrooms. It became a study area for “big kids” and it was also the location of the first Marcellin library under the guidance of Br Roger.  During the Br Sylvester era it also became the venue for after school ballroom dancing lessons.
Our 1951 Grade 5 class teacher was Br Jordan (Redden) – I did not see him again after 1951 until we met again at the funeral of Leo Oswald.  Br Evangelist many years later when he remembered our family and asked after my two “little” brothers I assured him that they were well surviving and thriving in their mid to late sixties!!!
Br Jordan was a nephew of Br Placidus, the Provincial of the Marist Brothers for the Southern Province.  Br Placidus had taught at the 1950 Marcellin – the year before I arrived. Both Br Placidus and Br Arnold taught Grade 4 in 1950 and when Br Arnold returned briefly to Marcellin in the mid to late fifties, my classmates who remembered him thought he was a “good bloke”. I recall how he livened our geography lessons via a Q&A quiz.  He’d give us two initials, country and capital city and we had to identify both,  eg, F.P – France, Paris or S.E – Scotland Edinburgh.  Br Placidus was a familiar sight around Marcellin and always acknowledged his former 1950 Grade 4 charges who also remembered him as, but never addressed him as, Br Platypus!
And so to sport!  There were six or seven concrete cricket pitches along the north western fence adjoining the Presbyterian Babies’ Home. Each class had its own cyclone and net enclosed pitch and boys lined up to bowl. Batsmen were limited to eight hits before retiring.  This was the only activity in the summer months – before at recess and at lunchtime.
Come winter, come football – same daily timetable for this activity with a few other aspects such as waxing  (sharing kicks), “picking out “ (kicking to mates) and attempting to kick through the open “dunny” window. Towering marks were “in” and the thought of anything like occupational health and safety was half a century away.
Well of course footy went beyond Marcellin’s backyard!  Victories in most interschool sports were a bit thin on the ground – enthusiasm was up there but success was rare.  Remember, however, that Marcellin was competing against the “big boys” but had a far lower student population.
I played in the Under 15 and open inter-school competition over the three years of 1957, 1958 and 1959 and the opposition was rather daunting – e.g, Parade 57 – first ruck Patrick Guinane, Sergio

Sport at Marcellin in the 50s - Don Hegarty

In my younger years at Marcellin it was sport alone that motivated me.  I particularly enjoyed the football and cricket seasons that occupied most of the school year.  I was less enamoured of the short athletics’ and swimming seasons, reckoning that it was only sport if it involved a ball of some description, although I strongly recall watching Vladimir Kuts running around the MCG, seemingly endlessly, in winning the two distance track events at the Melbourne Olympics and being fairly mesmerised by his feats.

Marcellin’s facilities for sports were, of course, less than ideal.  In class groups we kicked footballs from end to end on the asphalt surface of the congested playground during the winter months and had the opportunity of batting and bowling on concrete, netted strips in the same playground using balls of a cork composition that were as hard as rocks.  

In reflecting now on those times one is not surprised that fundamental concepts such as health and safety and duty of care were virtually non-existent.  Happily, however, accidents were rare, with one of the more serious ones, unhappily, involving me.  I go back to one of the last days of school for, possibly, the 1958 year when I was batting in the nets and was hit on the temple by a fast “beamer.”  In my barely conscious state I recall hearing the words “you ducked into it.”  We batted, of course, without any protective equipment and the occasions when someone was sorely hurt by a crack on the shins, or elsewhere, provided cause for hearty mirth.  For years afterwards I used to wonder how I could have “ducked into it.”  The answer, of course, was in the nature of the “bean” ball, a head-high full toss, a ball so dangerous it is banned completely these days by the laws of cricket.  It is so dangerous because a batsman naturally expects that the bowler, intending to bounce the ball on the pitch, will, in fact, bounce it somewhere on the pitch; his eyes, therefore, try to pick up sight of the ball out of the bowler’s hand and, thence, to follow its trajectory downwards.  When it is not seen there and, in fact, is not there a batsman is left in serious trouble, because it is well-nigh impossible to sight the ball somewhere in the wide open sky.  

Anyway, I was hit and lapsed into unconsciousness, coming to long later in the school tuck shop with wonderful ladies fussing over me and the school Principal getting in the way. My next recollection was waking up in my bed the next day and where I spent the next ten days or so seriously ill.  With medical knowledge about concussion we have today it is probably safe to say that I was extremely lucky to live, but at the time the incident was seen to be so lacking in seriousness as to not even require the school to make any subsequent inquiry of my health.

That we had so little in the way of satisfactory sporting facilities was not something that bothered most of us. I certainly did not look enviously at other schools and what better facilities they may have had.  It did not seem to be much of an imposition to walk/cycle down to the Rathmines Road oval for football training after school one evening a week, nor did it seem extraordinary on Wednesday afternoons to catch public transport to go to St. Kilda, Essendon, North Melbourne, etc., to play cricket or football against other Associated Catholic Colleges’ (ACC) teams.  For cricket practice, the school yard after the school day had finished was perfectly satisfactory, particularly because usual cricket protective equipment was made available to us.  And, indeed, I think all students with a sporting bent used to look forward to our lunchtime cricket/football sessions with some degree of eagerness.

I do not recall, with one notable exception, the school ever employing specialised coaches or having Brothers in charge of different sports who were capable enough, or inclined, to coach us.  In fact, I recall to this day being given two batting tips at practice one evening that I eventually learned were absolutely wrong and receiving nothing at all in the way of encouragement, ever.   The one exception to which I referred was the school having Hawthorn footballer, Brendan Edwards, an old boy of Assumption College, Kilmore coach our First Eighteen in 1961, the year Hawthorn won its first Premiership and the year Brendan won nearly all best player awards except for the Brownlow Medal. I do not recall Brendan ever attending any of our games, but he certainly put us through our paces on Monday evenings at Rathmines oval. I shall never forget the sight of Brother Sylvester at one of those sessions hurrying to the sidelines, the Melbourne Herald in his grasp, calling out to Brendan “you got three votes for Saturday’s game in the Herald, Brendan.”

I came to know Brendan quite well in later years; in fact, some very few years ago I shared a platform with Luke Hodge, Brad Sewell and Brendan at the Moore Park Golf Club in Sydney at a dinner organised by the Sydney Hawthorn Supporters Club and, after the dinner, we four were talking to the audience and taking questions as several television sets around the auditorium were silently showing the 1961 Grand Final.  I am sure that only few in the audience were even born before 1961, but I was asked about my recollection of that game.  I responded that I was aware of Brendan having had a dominating influence on the game, but that 1961 was more memorable for me, then a Carlton supporter, because Brendan had been my school’s football coach that year.  Brendan responded most enthusiastically and later, privately, told me how pleased he had been when “Brother Sylvester asked me to help.”

In my junior years at Marcellin we seemed to play football against the Marist Brothers’ college at Hawthorn, St John’s, again and again, year after year.  In fact, I do not remember playing against any other school, although we must have done, I suppose.  Arthur Owens and I used to share the captaincy of those under age teams; I recall that St John’s used to beat us regularly and I came to know of their star players, Des Meagher, Paul White and Bernie O’Brien through those regular games.  Paul and Bernie came on to Marcellin, of course, and boosted our teams, in both football and cricket, enormously.  Bernie went on to captain Old Paradians and Victoria in the very good Amateur Competition.  In those early years I used to play football in the team a year ahead of me as well, playing with the likes of Mark Needham, Brian Gartner, Peter Wood, Mick Schauble, Laurie Moran and others whom I have been very pleased to meet again at MOCA functions over recent years.

The Hawthorn Football Club in those days used to sponsor/host at the Glenferrie Oval an annual Under 14 years Lightning Premiership for local school teams.  I recall that Marcellin won the first three of these tournaments and that I played in the second and third years, the latter as captain of the Marcellin team.  I seem to recall that John Zika was a prominent player in the first of the winning Marcellin teams, that Laurie Moran probably captained the second and that Bernie O’Brien and Ken Hewitt were nominated as Marcellin’s two best performers in the third tournament, winning for themselves a weekend trip to Wagga Wagga as part of a representative team selected from amongst all the competing schools.  I do not remember if the tournament was ever held again after those first three.

Under Bernie O’Brien’s captaincy in 1961 our First Eleven shared the winning of the ACC cricket competition.  Our win was hailed as the first such win for the school and the following year, under my captaincy, we luckily won the title outright, again a first, obviously.  We were lucky to win because we lost to St Bede’s, Mentone in, as I recall, the penultimate game of the season and had to rely then on the outcome of a season final game between two other schools being favourable to us to give us the title.  Chris Hansen was one of our better batsmen that year and, if my memory serves me correctly, he became only the second Marcellin old boy, after Kevan Carroll, to play first grade cricket in the Melbourne District Competition, for the then Hawthorn-East Melbourne team.  Again, if my memory serves me well, my younger brother, Gerald, became the third and I the fourth, both of us playing for Hawthorn-East Melbourne as well.  I played in the school First Eleven in three successive seasons, as I had also done in our Under Fifteen teams.  In my first year in those teams I recall Len Jerrems being our star player and captain, just as he was the star footballer of his year, the first year I played in the First Eighteen.

It is hardly surprising that our sporting and other facilities at Marcellin in the early days were quite primitive.  The school’s location, whilst geographically favourable for most of its students, was not conducive to organised sporting activity.  Its Canterbury Road location, in such a desirable residential area, was never going to be capable of extension and must, therefore, have been established as a stop-gap measure only, until such time as a more suitable location could be found and developed with all the facilities many of us at Canterbury Road did not realise we were missing.  I started in Year Four, the class housed in the new building at the front of the school property that comprised the whole of the junior school.  I did not know that the senior classrooms to the rear of the property had once been barns and other farm buildings.  I know that I did not like how hot the classrooms became in Summer, nor how freezingly cold they became in Winter, but it did not occur to me that I might have expected better.  I did not like how stern and strict and lacking in rapport with the students were the Brothers in the junior school and, for the most part, I was so scared of them that I hated going to school, except on sports’ days.  I had come to Marcellin from the Nuns at St Dominic’s in East Camberwell, as had Peter Ruddock, Richard Olive and Kevin Bell, Marcellin luminaries all, and some of the Nuns there had been as frightening as I found the Brothers at Marcellin.  It did not occur to me to expect anything different from the Brothers, or that a more congenial environment might have provided an easier learning experience.  Thankfully, I accept that my earlier years especially at Marcellin were what they were, but in circumstances certainly intolerable today.

During my last three years at Marcellin I played senior cricket for the Canterbury club side and senior football for Surrey Hills. In 1962, my final year at school, I captained the Canterbury Cricket Club and then progressed to captain the Victorian (VJCU) Under 21 team at an interstate series in Sydney before then joining Hawthorn-East Melbourne.  In that same year I won the Best and Fairest award at Surrey Hills, finishing third in the same award for the competition, and then progressed to Hawthorn, where I made the Senior List in 1963, my first year out of school and the year that Geelong defeated Hawthorn in the Grand Final.  Brendan Edwards, who had retired after the 1961 Grand Final, made a comeback that year and, naturally, was added to the list also, on which we joined Ian Mort, the first Marcellin old boy to play at the top level.  I came to know Ian well, long after our football careers had ended and, interestingly, we never even once spoke of our respective days at Marcellin.  I very early sensed a reluctance on his part to speak of them, and I have no idea why that may have been the case.  Tragically, a devastating cancer took his life in January, 1996.  Ted Johnson was another “Canterbury Roader” who played for Hawthorn.  He had been about three years behind me at school and I remember him as a fine sportsman.

I have written of years long ago and since when I have lived outside Victoria for the past forty-eight years.  My odyssey saw me eventually to settle in Sydney and, some years ago, to retire to the NSW Southern Highlands.  Over the years I have had only rare contact with Marcellin old boys, mostly through quite recent functions organised by Chris Mirabella for the Canterbury Roaders. I am very grateful to him for his efforts in this regard, as I am to (Brother) Mark Needham and Brian Millane, friends and Marcellin old boys of course, who have  kept in touch with me over the years  and have tried to keep me apprised of Marcellin news.

I had never intended leaving Victoria permanently when I moved to Canberra in 1968 to play that football season for the Ainslie club.  Whilst I have always enjoyed living in NSW I do remain a staunch Victorian, and whilst I follow cricket and football somewhat keenly still, horse racing and golf remain my abiding sporting interests. 

Don Hegarty

My Memories of Football at Marcellin in the 1950s - Laurie Moran

I arrived at Marcellin in 1953, having come from OLGC, Deepdene, and my earliest memories of football were of kicking the ball from end to end in the asphalt yard, with the older boys at one end and the younger boys at the other. This was a relatively small playground because, as the pupil numbers grew rapidly in the early 1950’s, it was necessary to add new classrooms and a shelter shed, thus reducing the outdoor play areas. There were also some cricket pitches and nets installed on one side of this yard. 

This meant that when we wanted to train in football gear and boots, we had to travel to ovals, particularly ‘Rathmines Road’, being the closest grassed oval to the school. 

Another oval I can remember frequently using was the Anderson Road park in Hawthorn East, this being readily accessible by the Burke Road tram. There was also a park in Burke Road, South Camberwell (Howard Dawson Reserve?), often used for Marcellin home matches on Saturday mornings. 

We would often play football in the mid-1950’s against our sister Marist College in East Brunswick, which would involve a trip to Coburg. 

We didn't have a lot of success in the early days, partly because of a lack of numbers, the difficulty of getting to training venues, and the lack of tradition compared with other established schools such as those in the Associated Catholic Colleges, including De La Salle, Parade, St Kilda CBC and St Kevin’s College.

One event that really stood out, however, was the ‘Lightning Premiership’, a knockout competition at Glenferrie Oval. Our U14 Team were certainly not favourites, but we managed to win each game, beating the fancied St John’s Marist College Hawthorn in the final, to take out the trophy. St John’s was captained by Des Meagher, who later went on to be a Premiership player with Hawthorn. 

Every year, we would travel in the bus to play Assumption College in Kilmore; always a tough encounter. The matches would always be followed by a meal in the College dining room, and each time this consisted of meat pies, mashed potatoes and peas. 

I was lucky enough to be part of the 1st XVIII team to beat Assumption in the late 1950’s. There was great excitement on the bus that day returning to Melbourne. 

Each week one of the Brothers would post the results of the weekend’s football matches, including goal scorers, best players, etc. on a noticeboard in the school quadrangle. 

Some of the boys I remember playing football with in the 1950’s and the early 1960’s include Len Jerrums, Michael Scauble, Gary Morse, Brian Gartner, Geoff Beattie, Don Hegarty, Peter Wood, Terry Buckley, Peter Merrigan and Brian Hartnett. 

Overall I think we have a lot to thank the Brothers for during that early period of development of football at Marcellin. They did a great job especially considering the lack of space and facilities, and the relatively small number of students that they had to pick from. Just contrast this with the facilities and size of the current school at Bulleen. 

Cricket in 1959 - John Cotter

In 1959 I opened the batting for Marcellin with Kevin Carroll - it was an interesting combination as I was a dour left hander whilst Kevin had every shot along the lines of a classical batsman.

Training was in the nets at the back of the school and Br. Crispin (Coach) read the riot act as regards "Going the bash" and everyone was ordered to be circumspect with their stroke play. This suited my style of play - until - John Zika bowled me a rank long hop! Unable to resist I went for a cover drive which - to my horror - became a lofted off drive which sailed out of the yard (Over the high wire fence) and through a window of the adjoining property!

After hearing the noise of glass smashing, Brother Crispin ordered me to go apologise. Apparently this was the Porter household (The Porter twins dived at Melbourne Olympics) and Mrs Porter marched me through to the kitchen where the ball sat in the kitchen sink amongst the glass, lettuce, tomato etc. After a mumbled incoherent apology I don't believe a 16 year old made a quicker retreat from a house!

Nothing more was ever said about this incident - my parents were not called upon to pay for the window but Br. Crispin did not pick me again for the 1st eleven! At least I was fortunate to avoid Br. Ludovic and his instrument of torture!

Looking back over a cricket career that extended for 40 years I still have trouble believing I played that shot - which was so out of character! It must have been a pretty ordinary delivery!  

Tennis at Marcellin

My recollection of Tennis at Marcellin is that I represented Marcellin once, I think in 1956. 
With Peter Tripcony, we played against Parade at courts near the old St. Kilda train station.
We were selected by Bro. Ludovic. No trials before hand, I do not even know if he had seen either of us play.
We most probably travelled to the courts by train with Bro. Ludovic.
We were thrashed by Parade. Brian Beers and a very good left hander, I think his name was Hobbs.
The format was one set of singles each, I played Brian Beers and lost 6-1, Peter lost 6-0, and we lost the doubles, 6-0.
I do not recall if any other age groups played at that venue on that day.

Swimming at Marcellin in the 1950s

The first swimming carnival was held at Camberwell Pool in 1953. The records show that the Under 11,12,13 and 14 boys swam 25 yards and the opens swam 50 yards. Swimming was popular and a compulsory sport and as a result in under 12s there was A,B,C.D and E division.
Among the boys to perform well were K.Mason, K.Keenan, L.Jerrems, R.Olive, P.Webb and K.Doyle.
Most boys swam Freestyle and Backstroke but the more proficient boys also swam Breaststroke. There were dog paddle and underwater events for the less able swimmers in under 14 and open.

In 1955 events were increased in distance to 33 1/3 yards for most A divisions and 25yards for other divisions. Diving was now introduced. It is interesting to see that most boys swam in at least one event. The boys who swam well were B.Moritz, J and F O’Sullivan, L.Jerrems, P.Webb, P.Collins, B.Kelly, R.Olive and L.Day. The 1955 champions were: 
Open – F.O’Sullivan
Under 16- P.Collins
Under 15 P.Webb
Under 14 J.Collins
Under 13 B. Moritz
Under 12 J.Jost
Under 11 F.Clarebrough
Under 10 J.Schneller
Under 9 L.Day 

In 1956 swimming carnival race record were now listed in the program and it now appeared the sports had become more 'professional'. New events were conducted in Under 9,10,,15,16, and Open.
Under 9,10 and 11 swam 25 yards, under 12-13 33 1/3 yards, under 14,15,16,and open all swam 50 yards, butterfly and breaststroke was swam in all ages as well as backstroke.
Among the winners were C.Wells, P.Ruddock, P.Webb, B.Hartnett and A.Schauble.
The swimming program up till 1956 was produced on an old ink duplicator. 

From 1957 the swimming carnival was held at Olympic Park Pool (The pool where the Olympic Games were held in 1956 and is now the Lexus Centre the Home of Collingwood Football Club) The program in 1957 was produced by a professional printer.
From available records it appears Marcellin started swimming in the Associated Catholic Colleges Carnival at Richmond Baths in about 1955. The schools competing were: 
CBC Essendon
CBC North Melbourne
CBC Parade
DE La Salle Malvern
CBC Toorak
St Bede’s Mentone
CBC St Kilda
Marcellin Camberwell
All the schools had over 100 more boys than Marcellin.  

At this time a number of Marcellin boys belonged to very strong swimming clubs of Camberwell and Kew. In fact Peter Ruddock a Marcellin boy was captain of the Camberwell Swimming Club and also school captain. He continued his involvement with swimming all his life as a school principal developing school swimming in state primary schools and at Carey Grammar as well as lecturing to physical education staff and examining swimming coaches for qualifications.
Peter was the first Marcellin boy to win any major school sporting event when he won the All Schools under 19 Backstroke at the age of 16 in a record time against boys from big schools like Scotch and Wesley.  
As a number of boys competed with their swimming clubs they owned and wore track suits with the names of their clubs on the back of the suit. Marcellin did not have a track suit and it was reported the brothers were upset with the boys wearing the local swimming club track suits so very soon the school had a track suit. Most suits were too large for the boys and not at all well designed as they were very cheap.
Marcellin in the 1950s was most successful at swimming, in fact in 1956 Marcellin finished third out of the eight schools with 62 points and this may had been due to the school having well organised and highly competitive house sports, winter training on Saturday night at Brunswick pool with the boys training with the local swimming clubs, the keen efforts of one of the brothers, along with the effort of the talented boys. Marcellin also finished third in 1958 and 1959 and 4th in 1958. a most remarkable effort. 

Kew Swimming Club District Swimming Championship: 
Marcellin for many years was the winner of the District Swimming Championship that was conducted among all local schools surrounding the Kew District. This old shield is in the possession of Marcellin.

Travel to the sporting grounds for matches or training:
It is interesting to note that the school did not organise to take the boys to the sporting venues and to the training grounds. It was just left to the boys to get themselves to the grounds. Camberwell Pool was about 3 miles from the school and boys would make their way to the pool most weeks in summer. Often the boys used to go as far as Macleay Park in Belmore Rd North Balwyn about 6 miles away from the school. Many boys used their bikes to get to the grounds and those who did not have bikes either walked or used public transport. The brothers never marked the roll or checked to see all boys had arrived safely at the grounds. (Often boys would have large cricket bags with stumps, bats and pads balanced on the handlebars of the bikes) or even “dinked” a friend on their bike. School sporting teams had very little training.

Sport at Marcellin - Stan O'Loughlin

Marcellin accepted me in 1951, a year after I had seen my first football grand final between Essendon and North Melbourne. John Coleman was my hero, even though I barracked for Melbourne. All I wanted to be was a footballer like Coleman or Dick Reynolds. In 1952 Marjorie Jackson won two gold medals at the Helsinki Olympics. All I wanted to do was run like her. Later, I went to some of the Melbourne Olympics, and saw Dawn Fraser and Murray Rose win gold medals for Australia, and then I wanted to swim fast, but could only do the dog paddle at that stage. Despite my enthusiasm, I was only mediocre at sport. Sport played a big part of school life at Marcellin. Every Wedensday afternoon we all were herded off to play football at Rathmines oval, or South Camberwell, or wherever the brothers could find a venue. In summer it was cricket and swimming, and later in the year, athletics, culminating in a sports carnival where the march past was more important than any race one may win. I managed to get into the age group teams for football, swimming and athletics, but was a fringe dweller, only being included as a last resort. Brother Bertrand stood out in my memory as a coach. When Marcellin got the wooden spoon in swimming the first couple of years, he organised swimming squad at the Brunswick baths on Saturday mornings. He made us go up and down the pool on kick boards, and stood at the end with strap in hand, to stimulate us to higher things. The next combined swimming carnival saw Marcellin rise form eighth to third. He also produced the strap at football. If we were behind at half time, those who were playing poorly got a crack or two. I often wondered why the AFL coaches did not take a few hints from this methodology.  I managed to represent the school in swimming in my last three years at school, which was my only real sporting success. However, I dreamt often of being a good footballer and crack sprinter, and faster swimmer, but these were wishes that were never fulfilled. Nevertheless, I loved sport at school, and still remember with fondness my few successes and many failures. It stimulated me to look at swimming more seriously after school. I competed in butterfly at University, and later completed seventeen Pier to Pub, and many other ocean swims to a reasonable standard. 

Sport at Marcellin - Len Jerrems

Sports Offered:
Swimming, Cricket, Football, Athletics & for a while (I think) Tennis.

Internal School sports competition were House based. Houses were Joseph (Red), Champagnat (Gold), Aloysius (Blue) & Benedict (Green). Originally, boys were placed in a different House each year, but later stayed in the same House for all of their school life.

Participation in House competitions was generally compulsory, except for boys playing in the inter-school competition at the same time.

Inter School Competition:

the School was in the Associated Catholic Colleges (St Bede (Mentone), CBC Victoria Parade, North Melbourne, St Kilda & Essendon & St Joseph (East Brunswick) competition. The main sides were Under 15’s & Open age (under 20 years?), with training (at least for football) on a Monday (after School), cricket & football practice matches on the weekend (generally Saturday) & cricket & football competition matches on a Wednesday afternoon. Sides & their captains were selected by their coach without any consultation. 

Cricket bowling & batting averages came from game performances, but football best & fairest's were  determined by a side’s coach (I believe). We obviously had scorers, but I can’t remember whether these were volunteers or not.

Sport Facilities:

Cricket – there were 8(?) Cricket nets at the western end of the school yard, all concrete pitches. Originally, except for 'batting cages' (wire netting), the nets were of cord, but later were replaced with wire netting. I think the nets could be, & were, removed during the football season. Nets were allocated on a school class basis. Bats & cork balls were provided by the School & for sometime balls were painted different colours & allotted to nets on a colour coded basis. You queued to bat & bowl, but by-passed the queue if you bowled the batsman out. Boys were supposed to retire from batting after facing a certain number of balls.

During the season, cricket was played at each recess, before (& sometimes) after school. House games were played at a number of external venues. Under 15 matches were played on concrete wickets, with home matches being played at Anderson Park. Open age matches were played on turf wickets with home competition matches being played at Rathmines Rd Oval. Any practice was at the School’s nets.

Football – on a daily basis was kick to kick in the school yard (various areas were allotted on a school class basis). House matches were played at a number of external venues, including Howard Dawson Reserve (South Camberwell) & Deepdene Oval. Under 15 & Open age competition home games were usually played at Rathmines Rd Oval, then Camberwell Sports Ground. Inter school competition home practice matches were played at various venues, including Howard Dawson Reserve.

Sports Education:

There were no sports scholarships, professional or dedicated sports teachers or coaches (Except for Brendon Edwards as Open age football coach in 1960). I think a Brother was nominated as Sports Master & generally ran the various sports programs & each inter school competition side had a Brother appointed as coach, but this was an ‘extra’ to the Brother principal role as a teach of School classes. 


The School was numerically small, plus in the early years did not go to Matric (possible no inter school competition cricket &/or football was played until Matric was offered). Consequentially, picking & filling a competition side was fairly difficult so many boys played well above their age group. This started to change in the later 1950’s as the number of older boys increased & groups of boys gained greater experience playing in competitions outside of the School.

Transportation, Equipment etc:

The school did not have its own transport facilities & both house sports participants & inter school competition players got themselves (public transport, walked or rode) to home matches & football training. Buses were hired for inter school football competition away games.

The School provided all cricket equipment for inter school matches (boys could provide a certain amount of their own equipment if they wanted). The school also provided footballs for home games. Boys provided their own cricket & football uniforms.

Recollections of sport at Marcellin - Richard Hastings

The sports that I was involved in were Football, Athletics and Gymnastics and the two sports I represented Marcellin in were Football and Athletics.
Gymnastics were essentially various jumps and tumbles over the vaulting horse and were generally conducted late in the year in preparation for the Speech Night.
This involved running and jumping off a spring board and vaulting or doing summersaults and landing on a mat and running off to allow the boy following to complete his assigned exercise.
In 1956, my final year at the college, the gymnastics team were being put through their exercises and learning the sequence for each one in preparation for the final night.
If I recall correctly Br. Evangelist was the trainer and we had achieved some proficiency under his tuition, but on the speech night for some undisclosed reason Br. Evangelist handed over the role to a person who had had no experience and certainly did not know the  sequence of the exercises.  
The result was not a disaster as no-one was hurt but there was a considerable amount of hesitation.
I had the final exercise which involved a summersault without touching anything or any-one over four boys lying on top of one-another on the horse. This took the stranger totally by surprise and he was nowhere near in position if something had gone wrong. 

Football highlights were the trips to Assumption College Kilmore where our team was thrashed on a regular basis. We were coached initially by Br. Evangelist and later by Br. Stanislaus, but it made no difference. On these occasions we would have a meal with the boarders, which was always a lot of fun as we were treated as long lost friends before boarding the coach for our return to Marcellin.
Training involved walking to the oval in Rathmines Road but not much discussion on tactics etc.
The intra-school games were umpired by one of the Brothers and I recall Br. Eustace standing in the middle of the field and umpiring from there. If the ball was down one end of the field he would blow his whistle and award a free kick to return the ball to the centre.

Athletics. I was at Marcellin from 1950 through to 1955 and in these 6 (six) years I won the athletics cup for my age.
1950 Under 12, 1951 Under 13, 1952 Under 15, (the qualifying date was changed) 1953 Under 16 and 1954 and 1955 the Open.
Generally there was no training for athletics until I was competing in the Open age group and then Br. Ludovic provided the supervision, however I do recall that in 1955 the men’s Australian hurdles champion was present and tested several of the Athletics group. From this I was selected for further training and represented the school at inter school competitions, but this was the only formal training at the time


Marcellin Swimming 1950-1960 - Kevin Doyle

My recollection of Marcellin swimming representatives in the Associated Catholic Colleges (ACC) (I think that was what it was called) were mostly enthusiastic recreational swimmers from various swimming clubs at council pools such as the Camberwell Pool in Willow Grove. That pool no longer exists as the space it once occupied is now part of Camberwell High School. It was replaced by the Booroondara Pool in Belmore Road, North Balwyn. Many of those who represented Marcellin in swimming held season tickets, at their own expense, for Camberwell Pool and were also members of the Camberwell Swimming Club, which met at night-time between the afternoon and evening pool opening hours. That’s about all the coaching we got early on as there was no coaching provided by the school. Transport was via bicycles, which many of us rode to school each day, a far cry from the buses provided in later years. There was a mixed bag of talent but we all gave our best when competing in the ACC meets.  

Sport at Marcellin College in the 1950s - Terry Dynes


The first thing that comes to my mind regarding cricket was the rush from the classroom to line up for a hit at the nets. First in, best dressed.
I remember being selected for an Under 12 match against St. John’s in Hawthorn. About a week before the match it was realised that we did not have a wicket keeper.
Somehow I was chosen and for the rest of the week, I had a crash course on wicket keeping from Brother Stanislaus. We would meet at morning tea time in a vacant net and he would put me through my paces.
In that particular match the opposing keeper was none other than Kevin Carroll, who even at that time was recognised as a fine cricketer.  

Later at Under 15 level, I had the privilege of batting with Kevin, when he had just transferred to Marcellin from St. Johns. In one Saturday morning match at Andersons Reserve in Hawthorn, we put on an unfinished partnership of over 200, of which Kevin contributed 120. I am sure this would have been his first century for Marcellin, but I am positive it was not the last.

Other outstanding players at that time would have been Ronald Bond, John Bice and Peter Ruddock.

One of the perks at school was to get on the classroom cleaning team on a Friday night. After cleaning the rooms we were able to have a hit in the nets for an hour and usually Brother Stanislaus was there to do a bit of coaching.


Kick to Kick was played on bitumen during class breaks. It was pretty hard on the legs and knees particularly.

Inter house matches were played at Deepdene Park, to which we had to march from the College. At that time Terry Cleary stood out as a fine player.

Other times we played at Rathmines Oval, not far from the College.

I also remember playing at the Arden Street oval against C.B.C. North Melbourne.
At that time North Melbourne were playing their V. F. L. matches there.

I will never forget the trips to Assumption College for the lightning premierships.
What a cold place. On one occasion it was so cold, that a couple of the Kilmore players adjourned to the boiler room to keep warm during half time and fortunately invited me along. 

A great memory in an Under 15 match at St. John’s Hawthorn was beating Assumption College Kilmore by 2 points. It was the only time I can remember playing in a winning team against Assumption College. 
That Under 15 side was very talented and some of the stars were Kevin Carroll, John Zika & Carl Layh.
I remember one day when  some recruiters from the Collingwood Football Club called at the College to interview John Zika.


Athletic Carnivals were originally conducted at the Camberwell Football Ground, but I can remember us moving to the Collingwood Football Ground later on.
A usual occurrence before the Carnival was to compete in the Long Jump. The pit was located in the South West corner of the College, near where the shelter shed was later built.
During my days the outstanding sprinters were Ronald Bond, Terry Cleary  Michael Kettle and York Gerstmann. The long distance stars were John and Frank O’Sullivan, Maurice Boland and Carl Layh.

Each year there was a Carnival for all Marist Brother Colleges to compete. I can remember competing in a hurdles event at Olympic Park, where I ran a distant 7th.

Athletics in 1956 were very popular at that time, as of course Melbourne was hosting the Olympic Games. I can vividly remember calling into Vealls Electrics in Burke Road after school to watch the events on Television, which was very new at that time.

Tennis was played at the Loyola Courts, which were adjacent to Xavier College in Kew. Quite a route march to get there. We had to travel on the Outer Eastern Train Line, which was in decline and was terminated soon after.

I was a late starter into tennis, but can remember Brian McCrohan, John Bartley, Peter Deayton and Michael Leigh being dominant at that time.

All of these players later played for the Old Collegians team, into which I was recruited along with Brian Gartner, Richard Bartley and in later years Mark Beranato  Richard Juska and Chris Mirabella. John Bartley and I played together in this Old Collegian Competition for about 25 years.


Felix Russo was the Gymnastics teacher and he put us through our hoops, particularly the Vaulting Horse. Those that excelled were placed into the main squad and they gave performances at different venues. My late brother- Brian Dynes – made the final squad and was awarded the Form 1 Trophy in 1951.

The finale to any performance was a human pyramid being formed and my brother had to clamour over the other boys to finish at the top.  Quite a spectacular group. 

Football at Canterbury Road in the Late 50s - Peter Higgins

In the years before Marcellin joined the Associated Grammar Schools, football at Marcellin was a very laid-back casual affair. Over the winter months of second term, a limited number of inter school matches were arranged by the brothers. Almost always on Wednesday afternoons, we played against a variety of schools, many only the once...several on an annual basis. The latter included St Kevins, CBC Parade and Camberwell Grammar (one of the few we could beat) but I can also recall matches against De La Salle, CBC St Kilda, Sale Marist Brothers (we met them at a half-way ground) and of course our annual Sunday treks to Kilmore and Assumption College, a big family day where many parents came along to support the 3 or 4 teams of different age groups.

My year as captain 1958 I believe was notable when Marcellin defeated Assumption for the first time....a major achievement as Assumption had been a great breeding ground for future AFL players. I do recall playing against other league players...Morton Browne (Hawthorn) we worked him out, just kicked the ball to the other side of the ground. But we couldn't stop Brian Beers (Collingwood) who kicked 7 goals as Ruck Rover with just one bounce from the centre of the Camberwell Football Ground. That day we lost 22 goals (plus) to 1.0  A couple of years earlier I do recall the Open Team coming back shattered from a game against St Bedes Mentone when in very windy conditions they lost 2.19 to 5.7

But winning wasn't everything. Quite the contrary! Against De La we were told by Ted at half-time that it didn't matter either way as long as we looked good AND HAD OUR SOCKS PULLED UP!
No boys were allowed to wear short sleeve jumpers as that looked “too tough”. 

Footy training was equally casual. Once a week we would walk or cycle down to Rathmines Road oval after school for our training run, and that's what it was. One or two laps of the oval, kick-to-kick until everyone arrived then circle training - spread round the ground, keep running and kicking onward. Tactics and strategies, setting up set plays, special training sessions for rucks, backs or forwards... never even considered...we just worked it out on the field on game day. Coaching of the football teams was virtually non-existent.

How did we pick the teams? As Captain I certainly was never consulted, my prime task was to toss the coin! I can recall one training session being a short game of Possibles versus Probables.   Other than that we just waited patiently for the teams to be posted on the Notice Board.

Promotion and relegation from outside the squad? Not to my knowledge. The rest of the school was playing Wednesday sport in their four team colours, but I can never recall the squad players joining in to these inter-House matches.

Cricket at Canterbury Road in the Late 50s - Peter Higgins

Cricket was very laid back at Marcellin prior to the Associated Grammar Schools era. First term was either cricket or swimming (at Camberwell Baths) and there were very few cricketers beyond those playing inter-school matches. Open Age and Under 15's were the only teams. We played about 3-4 matches each year including against CBC Parade, De La Salle, St Bedes Mentone and Camberwell Grammar.  

Did we win? Did we lose? I have no idea. It seemed like something to do on a Wednesday afternoon.

Cricket training? One year I recall having a bat and a bowl in the school yard after school..... with concrete pitch and cork balls. We were never ready to handle the turf pitches and real leather cricket balls hurled at us by the 'enemy'. And I do remember one (and only one) practice match (probably Under 15). Other than that I guess teams were picked based on 'form' shown in the school yard at recess times when we lined up to take our turns to bowl, batsmen were supposed to retire after 8 balls, over the head was out but we beat that system and different syndicates 'waxed' to keep the bat within their group.  

Fortunately a (very) few team members also played at weekends with real cricket teams and could bring that experience to bear. Standout being Kevin Carroll from Hawthorn East Melbourne District team but others who stood out were fast bowler Graeme Emery-Smith, wicketkeeper John Elsom and opening batsmen Brady and McGregor and Peter Ruddock when he was not participating in swimming along with Len Jerrems.

Fond Memories of Football at Marcellin in the early 50s by Ray Walsh

My earliest memories of football at Marcellin in the 50's was the kick to kick in the school yard before school, at lunch time and sometimes after school.This activity became an institution at the Camberwell campus right up to the Junior school's closure many years later.

This was a very popular activity enjoyed by a good percentage of students each day durIng the football season. It must have been an amazing sight for those visiting the school for the first time to witness in excess of 100 students kicking and marking numerous footballs  "whistling " across the playground from every conceivable angle.

I have often thought that the time spent doing kick to kick certainly enhanced our skills and provided a very solid grounding in all facets of the game. Drop kicks, punt kicks and torpedoes were used as well as the occasional stab pass. (The drop punt, allegedly invented by Jack Dyer in 1948, was not known at that time but came into it's own in the 60s). The marking took place under very trying conditions caused by the number of people contesting the mark. Most of the time the balls were flying in different directions and students were attempting to mark from every conceivable angle without any regard for their safety. In the first couple of years we had to contend with  a gravel surface so it was very important to land on your feet otherwise you would stand a good chance of obtaining a nasty case of gravel rash or something more serious. After a couple of years bitumen replaced the gravel and we were told it would be safer . This proved to be incorrect as it was harder than gravel and you still received a nasty graze if you happened to fall. Despite all of these dangers I can remember very few serious injuries occurring during those years.

My first memory of any organised football was the inter house matches held at Myrtle Park (Now known as Macleay park) in Balwyn. The Brother who was sports master selected the captains of each team and then the captains had alternate selections until all available players had a team. I did not like this system as some captains picked their mate ahead of a better footballer and I thought it unfair on those with less ability waiting for their name to be called. I always felt sorry for them as you could see that they were embarrassed. On the other hand if your captain was a better judge of a footballer than his opponent and did not necessarily pick his mate you had a good chance of winning. I remember those matches as being quite competitive and enjoyable to participate in and provided us with our first taste of competitive sport.

In the early years, inter school matches were arranged by the sports master. As we were not in the A.G.S in those days matches had to be arranged with other schools individually. I can remember matches against St Pats East Melbourne played on the Old Scotch ground on a bitterly cold Saturday morning, matches against Xavier College both at Burke Hall and later at the senior school and matches against C.B.C. St Kilda and C.B.C. Nth Melb (at the Nth Melbourne Football ground) as well as St Bedes  at Mentone. We Seemed to play more away games than home possibly because of the lack of grounds available at the time or perhaps we were required to 'earn our stripes' as the new kid on the block.

The weather in the 50s was not like it is now with climate change and 'global warming' now happening. I vividly remember playing those Saturday morning matches when the weather was bitterly cold with the grounds being either waterlogged or covered in frost (or both). It did take some effort to get up on those mornings at such an early hour to be ready to start the match at approximately 10:00am. It should be remembered that the other sports, now readily available to students, did not exist in a competitive sense in those days and V.F.L football dominated the scene. So it was natural for us to turn up at the matches in order to emulate our V.F.L. Heroes irrespective of the weather conditions.

Talking about cold weather reminds me of the annual trip to Kilmore to take on the Assumption boys. Being such a young (and small) school we always played Assumptions 2nd 18s and although being competitive we could never seem to win a match up there. I now realise that in 1950 there were only 117 students enrolled in the school that year the bulk of them being in the lower grades. The most senior grade in that year was proficiency (year 9) and that grade only had three students. There were about 12 students in year 8 and about 15 in year 7. So this meant we only had a total of 30 students available for the first 18 as everyone else was only 12 years of age or younger. So is it any wonder that we were not successful in that period? The lower grades had much larger numbers (between 40 and 50). So it would only be a matter of time before we would be much more competitive.

One vivid memory I have of the bus trip to Kilmore was the day Bro Evangelist was in charge of the bus and as it proceeded along Royal Pde Parkville he suddenly ordered everyone to bow their heads and raise their caps. Needless to say most of the kids obeyed his order not realising that we were passing the Carlton Football Club which was the team Bro Evangelist barracked for. This brought about much hilarity and camaraderie on the bus but unfortunately that was not enough to improve our chances of winning the match. We did, however regain our sense of humour and camaraderie whilst having our cold pies and stale bread in the boarder's dining room after the match.

The appointment of Bro. Stanislaus as sports master during this period was to prove most beneficial to all students who loved their sport. Stan was in his early twenties when he came to Marcellin. He was enthusiastic and energetic and quickly set about organising matches and gaining access to sporting grounds in the area. As coach of the 1st 18 he instituted training after school at the Rathmines Rd oval which had never been done before and was able to secure the use of the Camberwell Football ground for home matches. Stan had a good knowledge of the game and the knack of getting the best from his players

Stan is now retired from teaching and was living in Brunswick when I last  saw him (at the last Canterbury Rd luncheon). Some time ago he reverted to his Christian name and is now known as Bro. Bill Dillon. 

One of the matches Stan arranged was against St Joseph's East Brunswick , a school Also run by the Marist Brothers. It so happened that Stan's younger brother "Pottsy" Dillon, who was a skilful rover was captain of that team. It was evident early on that Stan was 'hell bent' on beating his brother's  team. Leading up to the game the number of training sessions increased as did the intensity of training. Stan even provided us with inside information on the opposition. He told us that their best ruckman who was at least 19 yrs old and built like a man mountain was all bluff and would expect opposing ruckmen to be fearful of him but if we stood up to him he would "drop his bundle". He told us that his brother was a dangerous player and being a left footer would always turn on to his left foot. He also said that some of their players were overweight and we should chase them down as much as possible. Tactics were formed to counteract their strengths.

The match was played on the Camberwell Football Ground and did not disappoint. It was a very close encounter all day but somehow or other our stamina told and we were able to win the game after hitting the front with 2 minutes to go and held on to win the game by a few points. Stan was so excited I am sure, if he had been allowed,  he would have taken us up to the Palace to buy us all a beer. I have come across Stan on a number of occasions over the years and he always mentions that match and how proud he was of the players. This is high praise when you consider Stan left Marcellin in the next year or so and coached unbeaten Assumption teams for some years but he still finds a place in his memory for our very young developing team and how we won that game.

That match was also my most enjoyable experience and the proudest I ever felt in all my time at Marcellin.

Athletics at Marcellin in the 1950s

Marcellin in the early 1950’s had their annual Athletic Carnival at Xavier College on a Sunday afternoon. In 1955 it was held at Camberwell Oval on a Wednesday afternoon. Every boy at the school competed in at least one event. Each age group went from A Division through to H with the winners of A division going to the Associated Catholic College Competition. 
In 1954 the Associated Catholic Colleges of Victoria held the Annual Athletic Sports at North Melbourne Cricket Ground. All 8 schools competed in the same race but the results were as two divisions: 
Division 1
Assumption Kilmore
St Patricks College Ballarat
St Josephs CBC Geelong
Marist Brothers College Bendigo
Division 2
St Patricks College Sale
Marist Brothers College Mt Gambier
Marcellin College Camberwell
Christian Brothers College Warrnambool 

It was recorded that the only Marcellin winners against the 8 schools in 1954 was the Under 13 440 team of Peter Ruddock, Francis Connelly M Powell and Geoff Kelly
 The Marcellin boys had little or no training as there were no facilities at Canterbury Rd . The only area to train was a 15 yard strip at the back of the shelter shed which was used for long jumps .The boys competed just on natural ability.

In 1958 the Associated Catholic Colleges held the Annual meeting at Olympic Park the schools competing were now: 
CBC Victoria Parade
CBC St Kilda
DLSC Malvern
CBC North Melbourne
St Bedes Mentone
CBC Essendon
Marcellin College

Each year Marcellin competed against Carey and Carey Old Boys in an athletic competition on a weekend at Carey .